Friday, September 4, 2015

Get Ready, Get Set....

Hi Everyone

Tuesday morning is just around the corner!  I will start my day by teaching Class, Yes wbile my class is in line.  I ask them to practice the class, yes with their eyes on me and hands together (if they are not carrying loads of schools supplies of course!)

Once we have class, yes down, I ask them to hang their backpacks then go find their seats.  I will have an activity at their table to keep them busy while we get everyone to their seat.  Then we practice class yes some more.  I ask them to go back to the work they were doing and we do class yes again.  We keep going until it looks the way it should.

Before we move on I start 3 peats.  Remember 3 peats are when students repeat what they are to do 3x.  I do it for stand up, push in your chair, carpet, seat, crayons away, etc.  We practice, practice practice!

Because I teach Kindergarten, I only teach the BIG rule, "Listen while your teacher is talking!" the first day but if I were teaching  older students I would work through all the rules the first day.  I think adding one rule per hour is a great way to do it, so that you can address some of those "smart choice" issues when you hit rule 4.

Once we have worked on the Big rule day one we add "Hands and Eyes".  I like to use hands and eyes as a "refocus" cue.  Those hands and eyes are easily distracted!

Next up, SCOREBOARD!  I use a VERY SIMPLE smiley/frowny on my easel.  I teach the kids that we are going to use the scoreboard as a GAME to see if we can win everyday!  (WE DON"T WIN EVERYDAY!)  We practice the 'Oh Yeah! and Mighty Groan! and I use the scoreboard to give them feedback on how they are doing.  I want quick responses with energy!  Remember Coach B says you have what you want... only give smiles when they are improving towards what YOU want!

Mirror, Words is next on the agenda!  I start by asking what a mirror is and what they see in a mirror.  Then we do mirror checks (I use these all year!)  My mirror checks are FUN!  Lots of crazy moves to keep them engaged and smiling.  I tell them whenever I say mirror words they repeat that and copy my words and gestures.

Of course you will have resistant students on the first day.  I love to use scoreboard and 10 finger WOOHOOs to celebrate the students who are "all in"!  I am so excited to hear how your first days go!  PLEASE let me know!

I am including YOUTUBE links below to give you some extra WBT insight into your first day!  I have had a few people tell me they could not watch my class video so that is included.  Remember I am a work in progress!  :-)  You can also refer to 122 Amazing Games! Chapter 1.

WBT the first hour!

WBT the first day

3D shapes in Kindergarten 

Stay tuned... I will be blogging my class tour (room still has guys in it!)  and each day the first week!  Jump in and enjoy the engagement and fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment