Monday, September 28, 2015

Attention Getters Tips and Tricks

Hi everyone!

Thank you SO much to those of you who completed my WBT survey.  It will totally help me to focus my blog on your questions, concerns, and new things to try! 

ATTENTION GETTERS!  These are critical to keeping your students on track!  You can waste a ton of time getting your kids attention and KEEPING it!

CLASS CLASS YES YES!!
Many of you have already started using class, yes in your classrooms!  Here are some tips to make Class, Yes the most successful attention getter EVER!

1.  Teach it!  Practice it!  EVERYDAY!  Yes we are on day 16 and yes we are still having to practice what I mean when I say class yes.   If you accept mediocre responses to class yes, that is what you will get!  In my room if I say class yes and student don't respond I say it one more time.  After that, they will get a frown on the scoreboard.  We then PRACTICE what class yes LOOKS AND SOUNDS like!  This is true in ALL grades!  I promise you it will work!

2.  Use the Scoreboard!  If you are using scoreboard in your class, use it for great responses to class yes, as well as lack luster!  The scoreboard is KEY to fine tuning behavior in your classroom.  In my room I am PICKY!  I want everyone looking RIGHT at me and NOT TOUCHING ANYTHING!  Let's be honest are they even listening to you if they are not doing that??  If you are not using scoreboard, I urge you to start!  

3.  Variety!!  Of course the kids will not think it is HILARIOUS every time you say class yes BUT if you JAZZ it up a few times a day, they will be reponding like superstars!  Here is a list of variations.  Print it and put it on your desk!  You will begin to think of your own in no time!

Class Yes Variations

4.  CLASS BOOM!  Use this for the REALLY BIG POINTS!

HANDS and EYES!
I use this all the time!  If you say class yes and you need to keep their attention for a period of time, say hands and eyes.  If you are in the middle of talking and don't really want them to say anything like yes, use hands and eyes!  In my room, when we are having one of "those" days, I have my students put their hands on top of their heads instead of folded.  I find that some students really struggle to STOP what they are doing for more than a second.  Putting their hands on their heads helps me spot those "sweet little rascals!

Whatever you do, DON"T GIVE UP!  I promise you that your kids, can and will be able to respond quickly and appropriately if you take the time up front to teach them exactly what you are looking for when you say, CLASS YES!

Looking for more???  Here are some videos from Coach B!
Class Yes Basics

Master Class Attention Getters

1 comment:

  1. Great information and suggestions, Stacey!! It's great to read about your colleagues' WBT participation!! Oh, yeah!

    ReplyDelete